LAMBDA ALPHA INTERNATIONAL
George Washington Chapter Awards Program
The George Washington Chapter Lambda Alpha International Awards Program recognizes the accomplishments of members and other individuals who have advanced the field of land economics through their achievements and service to their profession, the Greater Washington community, and the George Washington chapter. Winners of the awards will be considered for submission to the LAI International Awards program.
We encourage submission of nominations advancing the cause of land economics in the National Capital Region. The awards categories for this year’s program are:
- Chapter Member
- Outstanding Project (more than 200,000 SF)
- Outstanding Project (less than 200,000 SF)
- Outstanding Plan or Program
The awards will be presented at the LAI GW Investiture Banquet in October.
Nominations should be submitted to the Awards Chair. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. .
Nominations for the Chapter Awards program will be due on Friday, September 16, 2022.
Awards in each category will be made to a single individual or, in the case of projects, programs, or plans, to the principal members of the team.
Chapter Member ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
The Chapter Member Achievement Award will be based upon commitment to Lambda Alpha, to the nominee’s profession, and to achievements in land economics and related fields in the private or public sectors, research, or education. Related fields include real estate economics, architecture, civil engineering, geography, landscape architecture, land use planning, urban planning, urban development and redevelopment, public administration, law, environmental design, historic preservation, zoning, real estate consulting, appraisal, and real estate development.
A member who receives the Chapter Member Award may be submitted to LAI as a nomination for the International Member of the Year Award. This Award is selected from Chapter nominations of Chapter Member of the Year honorees for the current or prior year by the International Awards Committee.
AWARD FOR A COMPREHENSIVE, AREA, OR GENERAL PLAN OR RELATED PROGRAM
This Award will be made for a comprehensive, area, or general plan or program that advances the science and art of planning or land economics.
The award is given for group achievement and may be made to a planning agency, planning team or firm, community group, or local authority.
- Originality and innovation. Describe how the entry presents a visionary approach or innovative concept to address needs. Explain how the use of the planning or program development process broadened the acceptance of planning principles.
- Quality. Explain how the plan is state-of-the-art in terms of presentation and methodology. Identify what makes this plan exceptional or stand out compared to other plans.
- Engagement. Explain how various stakeholder interests were involved and the extent of that involvement. Describe how the plan obtained public and private support.
- Implementation and Effectiveness. Address what steps were taken to build public support for implementing the plan or program. How does the plan or program address the need or problem that prompted its initiation? How has the plan or program made or will make a difference in the lives of the people affected?
AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING PROJECT
Two Categories: More than 400,000 SF and Less than 400,000 SF
This award honors a project that demonstrates sound land economic and good planning principles in the preservation, development, or use of land resources.
The nomination should demonstrate that it enhances the neighborhood or jurisdiction of the project. The submission should address the criteria for a plan submission (above) where appropriate.
ELIGIBILITY FOR PLAN OR PROJECT SUBMISSIONS
Any plan, project, program, tool, process, report, or ordinance entered must have been published, implemented, or completed within three years of the date of submission. Published drafts of plans are not acceptable.
Format for Nominations
Submissions should include:
- Award category
- Name of nominee
- Contact information for nominee
- Proposed Citation for Award
- Justification for nomination
(1-page maximum. Drawings, photos, and/or plans should be included for Project or Plan nominations)
Submit Items 1-4 on a single sheet and the justification on a second sheet. Please send all nomination materials electronically to the email address below.
Awards Program Chair
Lambda Alpha International George Washington Chapter