New Member Nominations are due on September 16. Read the details about nominations here.
To nominate a professional for membership, please use the form found at this link: http://laigw.org/new-member-nominations/
About LAI Membership
The chapter membership is composed of 145 active professionals in a wide variety of fields associated with land economics. Active members are members who have paid their annual dues through the current calendar year. Active members may participate in luncheon meetings at no additional charge, as the cost of luncheons is covered by dues. Non-resident active members are members living and working in locations at least 40 miles from downtown who have paid a reduced dues amount through the current calendar year. Non-resident active members may participate in luncheon meetings at a charge of $50.00 per event. Inactive members are members who have not paid dues for the current calendar year, but who may reinstate their active membership privileges at any time by paying current annual dues. Inactive members may not participate in luncheon meetings unless they reinstate. Non-members may participate in luncheon meetings only as an invited guest of an active member who is charged $50.00 per guest per event.
The chapter membership directory is accessible only to active and non-resident active members.
Only active and non-resident active members may nominate qualified individuals for membership during a nomination process conducted early each year by the chapter Membership in Lambda Alpha International recognizes and honors men and women who have made outstanding contributions to the knowledge, understanding or practice in one or more of the fields of land economics, and whose professional conduct contributes to the furtherance of the highest ideals of scholarship and integrity. The nomination of an individual should establish the individual’s specific contributions and/or achievements and be sufficient to distinguish that individual as a leader in his or her field. The board considers and initiates new members once a year in September. Initiation is celebrated in an October reception.
The following are the qualifications for chapter membership:
- An undergraduate and/or masters degree in a recognized field of land economics, including but not limited to economics, architecture, civil engineering, geography, landscape architecture, urban planning, public administration, law, environmental design, historic preservation
- A minimum of ten years of professional experience – mid career – in a recognized field of land economics, including but not limited to those listed under Education above, land use planning, urban development and redevelopment, property tax assessment, zoning, real estate consulting, appraisal, and real estate development. As an alternative, a minimum of five years of professional experience for any individual who holds a doctoral degree provided that the related dissertation was devoted to a topic associated with land economics
- Career Accomplishment An identifiable singular achievement, contribution, or leadership role in a field associated with land economics or a body of work which, when taken as a whole, represents a significant contribution above the normal progress an individual might achieve at mid career. An individual who is distinguishable as a leader in his/her field
- Ethics A demonstrated high standard of professional and personal ethics.
- Special Exemption A candidate for membership who does not meet the education and experience criteria may still be deemed qualified if the following conditions are satisfied: a) the candidate’s career accomplishment or body of work, taken as a whole, represents a significant contribution to the field of land economics and the public’s understanding of and engagement with land economics issues; b) the candidate is distinguishable as a leader in his/her chosen field; c) the candidate’s involvement in pursuits that have led to such a significant contribution is shown to derive from a deep personal commitment to the related work over a sustained period of not less than 10 years; d) the candidate has demonstrated a high standard of professional and personal ethics, and e) the likelihood the candidate will maintain an active participation in Lambda Alpha and chapter affairs is confirmed.