LAMBDA ALPHA INTERNATIONAL
George Washington Chapter Awards Program
August 8, 2023
The George Washington Chapter Lambda Alpha International Awards Program recognizes the accomplishments of members and other individuals who have advanced the field of land economics through their achievements and service to their profession, the Greater Washington community, and the George Washington chapter. The Awards Program encourages submissions that respond to issues of climate change and recognize the diversity of populations and interests in the greater National Capital Region.
Winners of the awards will be considered for submission to the LAI International Awards program.
We encourage submission of nominations advancing the cause of land economics in the National Capital Region. The awards categories for this year’s program are:
- Chapter Member of the Year
- Outstanding Project (more 200,000 SF)
- Outstanding Project (less than 200,000 SF)
- Outstanding Plan or Program
The awards will be presented at the LAI GW Investiture Banquet on October 25 at the Sulgrave Club, Washington, DC.
Nominations should be submitted to the Chapter Administrator, Lisa Rother at firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations for the Chapter Awards program are due on Monday, September 18, 2023.
Awards in the Chapter Member Achievement category will be made to a single individual and, in the case of projects, programs, or plans, to a jurisdiction or to the principal members of the team.
CHAPTER MEMBER AWARD
The Chapter Member Award will be based upon commitment to Lambda Alpha, to the nominee’s profession, and to achievements in land economics and related fields in the private or public sectors, research, or education. Related fields include real estate economics, architecture, civil engineering, geography, landscape architecture, land use planning, urban planning, urban development and redevelopment, public administration, law, environmental design, historic preservation, zoning, real estate consulting, appraisal, and real estate development.
A member who receives the Chapter Member Award may be submitted to LAI as a nomination for the International Member of the Year Award. This Award is selected from Chapter nominations of Chapter Member of the Year honorees for the current or prior year by the LAI International Awards Committee.
AWARD FOR A COMPREHENSIVE, AREA, OR GENERAL PLAN, OR RELATED PROGRAM
This Award will be made for a comprehensive, area, or general plan or program that advances the science and art of planning or land economics.
The award is given for group achievement and may be made to a planning agency, planning team or firm, community group, or local authority. The plan or program must have been completed within the last three years.
- Originality and innovation. Describe how the entry presents a visionary approach or innovative concept to address needs. Explain how the use of the planning or program development process broadened the acceptance of planning principles including protecting and enhancing the natural environment and surrounding ecosystems?
- Quality. Explain how the plan is state-of-the-art in terms of presentation and methodology. Identify what makes this plan exceptional or stand out compared to other plans. How does the plan or program meet the challenges posed by climate change? How does the plan or project address water and energy conservation?
- Engagement/Inclusion. Explain how various stakeholder interests were involved and the extent of that involvement. Describe how the plan obtained public and private support. How does the plan or program promote equitable outcomes?
- Implementation and Effectiveness. Address what steps were taken to build public support for implementing the plan or program. How does the plan or program address the need or problem that prompted its initiation? How has the plan or program made or will make a difference in the lives of the people affected?
AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING PROJECT
Two Categories: More than 200,000 SF and Less than 200,000 SF
This award honors a project that demonstrates sound land economic and good planning principles in the preservation, development, or use of land resources. These principles include promoting equity, protecting the environment and surrounding ecosystems, conserving water and energy, promoting health and wellbeing, and protecting against the risks of environmental change.
The nomination should demonstrate that it enhances the neighborhood or jurisdiction of the project. The submission should address the criteria for a plan submission (above) where appropriate.
ELIGIBILITY FOR PLAN OR PROJECT SUBMISSIONS
Any plan, project, program, tool, process, report, or ordinance entered must have been published, implemented, or completed within three years of the date of submission. Published drafts of plans are not acceptable.
Anyone may submit a project, plan or program in the National Capital Region for an Award. Members of the LAI GW Chapter may submit projects, plans or programs in other jurisdictions.
An entry fee of $100 is required for each submission. The funds will be used to pay for administrative expenses, awards, graphics, and photography. Please make checks out to LAI GW and send them to Anita Morrison, LAIGW Treasurer, 9318 Worth Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20901.
Selections & Announcements
The Awards Jury is composed of five LAI members from the Baltimore chapter. The jury will review all eligible submissions and may select one Award of Excellence, as well as Honor Awards.
Entrants will be notified of the results following the jury meetings.
The awards will be announced to the media and on the LAI GW website.
Recipients will be honored at the awards presentation ceremony during the LAI GW Investiture at the Sulgrave Club on October 25, 2023.
Format for Nominations
Submissions should include:
- Award category
- Name of nominee
- Contact information for nominee
- Proposed Citation for Award
- Justification for nomination
(1-page maximum. Drawings, photos, and/or plans for Project or Plan nominations may be in addition to the one page justification)
Submit Items 1-4 on a single sheet and the justification on a second sheet. Please send all nomination materials electronically to the email address below. Don’t forget to send entry fees by check to Anita Morrison at the same time as you make your submission.
Lambda Alpha International George Washington Chapter